Jamestown Historical Society logo

Advanced Search

Advanced Search allows you to refine your search. You can search for a word or phrase within a particular search category. Or use multiple categories to further narrow down your search results.

To search by phrase wrap your criteria in quotes. For example: “Jamestown Windmill”. Use the asterisk (*) as a wildcard to find things in a string of text.

To locate Jamestown Philomenian Library records, type in the Site field “Jamestown Philomenian Library”. Or type JPL* in the Catalog Number field.

52 results found.

No Image Available

JPL10409 - 2007

Topic: Clingstone Revealed: Jamestown Home on the Rocks Clingstone was built between 1902 and 1905. The architect - builder was J. D. Johnson. The last Wharton to summer there was Amelia. Her son, Charles Wharton tried to maintain the house, but probably could not afford to do without financial support from his family. Shortly after 1940, Clingstone was abandoned. Henry Wood's family has resided at Clingstone since the early 1960s. Henry W ...

Object Type: Archive

No Image Available

JPL10431 - September 6, 2007

Jamestown Press: Island Historical Society will Showcase Two Homes in Weekend Tour (Year: 2007) Byline: Michaela Kennedy [2007-09-06 / Front Page] ------------ J.B. Lippincott Home & The Belvedere Cottage "...The Lippincott house on Beavertail Road...is the original design of Belvedere. The Lippincott Home was built in 1893, built by Charles Soule of Newport ------------ "Antine House on Walcott Avenue" Built by Admiral David Dixon Porter ...

Object Type: Archive

No Image Available

JPL10466 - Aug. 21, 1988|Sept. 16, 1997

Built in 1905, for Mrs. Joseph Wharton - as a summer house Clingstone: House on the Rocks Headline Overflow: House on the Rocks: Clingstone may be rustic, but don't call it the pits Found upon a rock Photographer Overflow: John Freidah - 1997 PROJO Bob Thayer- 1988 PROJO Photos by the Jamestown Historical Society (B/W Collection)

Object Type: Archive

No Image Available

JPL10491 - Nov. 1, 2007

Jamestown Press: Restored painting by local artist, unveiled at town hall open house (Story and photo by Michaela Kennedy) Mr. Monks was a painter & an etcher of animal scenes in the late Nineteenth Century. Local relatives of the late J.A.S. Monks were on hand for the rededication of a painting that was donated to the town. Original Donation of painting: 1970s by Hutchinson Family John Austin Sands Monks had a summer residence and a studio ...

Object Type: Archive

No Image Available

JPL10506 - March 10-11, 2008

She celebrated her 100 TH birthday on November 7, 2007. She was born in Concord, NH. She was the wife of the late Henry N. Armburst. She lived in Jamestown for many years and was a well known locally both as an individual and as an artist. In 1984, a set of her mugs was presented to President Ronald Reagan at the White House.

Object Type: Archive

No Image Available

JPL10538 - May 11, 2008

Publication: Jamestown Historical Society Open House Postcard Announcement Event: Jamestown Museum Open House (2008) This open house was part of the JHS' Society capital campaign. The postcard was created by Amazing Mail.

Object Type: Archive

No Image Available

JPL10543 - May 8, 2008

Senator Reed served in the House of Representatives, before moving to the Senate in January 1997. Joseph DiStefano, Esq. is a distinguished lawyer and has served on the board of directors for several local organizations. He spent four years in the Rhode Island Senate and once was Democratic State Chairman, for Rhode Island. This article is from the Jamestown Press (May 8, 2008).

Object Type: Archive

No Image Available

JPL10544 - April 27, 2008

This article covers Jack Reed's path to the U.S. Senate. Reed Entered Congress in 1991 as a member of the House of Representatives and served three terms there. Senator Reed is a private person, but the Journal writer learned a lot when he spent a few days with him, in Washington DC.

Object Type: Archive

No Image Available

JPL10555 - January 10, 1985 |March 2001

Topics: Ferries and Steam Boats Edward V. Smith lived most of his life in Connecticut and spent summers in Newport, where his family owned a house for about two centuries. Ferryboats captivated him and was a hobby of immense interest. He gave a presentation at St. Matthew's Parish Hall in Jamestown in 1985 about his hobby. Mr. Richard W. Berry was once the Chairman of the Jamestown Library's Board of Trustees. He was very active in the l ...

Object Type: Archive

No Image Available

JPL10570 - October 1982

Subject: Topiary Gardens Organization: Green Animals (Portsmouth, RI) Alice Brayton, creator of garden at Green Animals Publications: Horticulture; House and Garden Green Animals (Portsmouth, RI) is owned by the Preservation Society of Newport County

Object Type: Archive

No Image Available

JPL10591 - Various

Horatio Rogers' Presentation for the 100 TH anniversary of Rhode Island Adopting the U.S. Constitution with footnotes Reprinted from "The Bill of Rights and the States: The Colonial and Revolutionary Origins of American Liberties," published by Madison House Publishers, Inc. (from Chapter 5) Publication Overflow: Rhode Island's Adoption of the Federal Constitution: 1790 - 1890 The Bill of Rights and Rhode Island - Rhode Island: Laboratory o ...

Object Type: Archive

No Image Available

JPL10596 - August 8, 2008

Henry Wood has owned Clingstone for awhile. A lot of friends labor and Wood's own handy handiwork have kept the house maintained. It was vacant for two decades, before Henry Wood bought Clingstone. Clingstone was built by a distant cousin (J.S. Lovering Wharton) Wharton built this house when he had to leave his house, south of Fort Wetherill, due to Ft. Wetherill expanding at the end of the 1800s. Wharton worked with an artist, William Tro ...

Object Type: Archive

No Image Available

JPL10599 - Unavailable

Clingstone, an over 100 year old mansion in Jamestown, survives through a lot of hard work and love by Henry Wood's friends and family. Mr. Henry Wood bought Clingstone in 1961, after the house was vacant for about two decades. The cost of Clingstone to build was almost $37,000 and was completed in 1905. Clingstone was built by a distant cousin to Henry Wood, J.S. Lovering Wharton. Mr. Wharton worked with an artist, William Trost Richards, ...

Object Type: Archive

No Image Available

JPL10605 - May 18, 2003

In 1885, Edith Wharton and her husband acquired the Quail Tree House in 1885. Providence Journal article: "Novel Approach: The Summer Home of Author Edith Wharton Is Being Redone Using Modern Techniques" Late author, Edith Wharton's, summer home in Newport was being re-done. The house was called the Quail Tree House and located on Harrison Avenue. Edith Wharton's novels include: "Ethan Frome" and "The Age of Innocence."

Object Type: Archive

No Image Available

JPL10624 - October 2008

This is a Linda (Lynda) Sutton produced piece for Better Home & Gardens magazine. Included: Pam King's and Chris Pike's Jamestown house landscaping Headline: Fun for the Border (A fusion of fuss - free plants offers year - round beauty without year round work)

Object Type: Archive

No Image Available

JPL10637 - July 2005

From the Architectural Digest: The International Magazine of Interior Design The clients, who bought the 1890s Victorian house at an auction, had to decide whether to keep the existing frame work of the old house or to demolish it completely. The build new option would not allow the new house to have a similar structure to the old one, due to local zoning laws. They opted for the more extensive rehabilitation project so they could keep th ...

Object Type: Archive

No Image Available

JPL10646 - Fall 2008

Jamestown Historical Society Fall 2008 Newsletter Contents Page 1 Land Agreement on Permanent Display in Town Hall Page 2: 2008 Honor Roll of Volunteers Page 3: Volunteer Party 2008 Photos Page 4: From the President, Windmill Committee, Friends Meeting House Page 5: Communication & Education Page 6: Friends of Conanicut Battery Pages 6 & 7: Programs Page 7: Development and Membership Pages 8 & 9: Collection Committee Page 10 Donations ...

Object Type: Archive

No Image Available

JPL10657 - July 8, 1997 (NDN)|September 1930

The Early Quakers and the Old Quaker Meeting House

Object Type: Archive

No Image Available

JPL10711 - August 27, 2009

The site of Jamestown Philomenian Library was once a school house. In 1955, two older schools were closed for a new school on Lawn Avenue to open. In 1968, the Clarke School building was demolished and the site became the home of the Jamestown Philomenian Library. The library opened at its present location in 1971 and underwent a $1.4 million renovation project in 1993.

Object Type: Archive

No Image Available

JPL10810 - 2002

Charles Lovatt Bevins (1844-1925): He came to Boston with his wife and two young children in 1878. Bevins went on to do several architecture projects in Jamestown. Despite having his office in Newport for at least 20 years, Bevins is known to have only designed three Newport buildings. One of those buildings, Bevins later bought and used it as a winter house.

Object Type: Archive