Jamestown Historical Society logo

Items with Images Only

Photo Search will help narrow down the search by only searching within our Photos catalog.


To search by phrase, wrap your criteria in quotes. For example: “Jamestown Windmill”

8710 results found. Records searched: 8710

Image of P1921.001 - Cajacet

P1921.001 - Cajacet

Cajacet. Capt Thomas Paine house, built after Paine bought the property in 1690. Unusual in having front door on east side. Named by 19th century owner, S M Vose. From album: "The summer home of the Vose family was built in 1680 by Capt. Thomas Paine, an associate of Capt. Wm. Kidd. This house is the only old house in Jamestown that has an overhanging second story and a front door on the east side. It still retains the immense chimney ...

Object Type: Photo

Image of P1921.002 - Cajacet

P1921.002 - Cajacet

Mounting block at Cajacet: 4 large flat stones set on edge to form 4 sections, each 90 degrees, identified c 1950 by H Colins. From album: "These stones on the lawn of Cajacet were formerly set up to form a mounting block for the horseback riders of older times."

Object Type: Photo

Image of P1921.003 - Underwood farmhouse

P1921.003 - Underwood farmhouse

Underwood farmhouse. From album: "House on Underwood farm. The first Underwood to live in Jamestown was Henry who became a freeman in 1673. He probably returned to Newport before he died but his children settled here."

Object Type: Photo

Image of P1921.004 - Underwood farmhouse

P1921.004 - Underwood farmhouse

Underwood farmhouse Note in album: "It is on the E. Shore Road and is occupied by Manuel Brazil. [1921] In the early days of Jamestown history the Underwood family were prominent. In 1783 the General Assembly voted that the barracks at Ft. Brown be given to those persons whose houses were destroyed by the British. Among those to whom the Proprietors of Jamestown awarded barracks were the heirs of Daniel Underwood." Note by Mary Miner: "D ...

Object Type: Photo

Image of P1921.005 - Underwood farm

P1921.005 - Underwood farm

Underwood farm. Note in album: "Entrance and sheds on Underwood Farm." See also note at P1921.004

Object Type: Photo

Image of P1921.006 - John Hull Weeden house

P1921.006 - John Hull Weeden house

John Hull Weeden house built c 1840 as a summer home stood on west side of East Shore Road, somewhat north of Wright Ln. Razed c 1956 by Commerce Oil Note from album: "John Hull Weeden house is north of Carr's Lane and between the two roads which run north. It is now [1921] occupied by Enos Gomes. Mr. John Hull Weeden, a native of Jamestown, was the first man from the island to attend Brown University. He became a lawyer and made his home ...

Object Type: Photo

Image of P1921.007 - Milk house on Eldred farm.

P1921.007 - Milk house on Eldred farm.

Milk house on Eldred farm. Note in album: "Commonly called milkhouse on Eldred farm." It is at Eastern end of Eldred Ave. or Severance Lane. Capt. Eldred was a 'patriot of purest type.' During the Revolution, he mounted a gun on a large rock on his farm and fired at British vessels that passed. When he put a ball through the mainsail of a British vessel, the Commander sent a company ashore to dislodge the crew and spike the gun. They spik ...

Object Type: Photo

Image of P1921.008 - Samuel Carr house

P1921.008 - Samuel Carr house

"Samuel Carr house". Much confusion about this house. Research indicates it was built by Richard Smith of Wickford before 1687 when John Hull bought it. This house on John Hull's "Holly Swamp" farm remained in the Hull family until Samuel Carr bought it from Olive Hull in 1770 (LE 3/368) Destroyed by fire, late 1950s, early 60s. From album (note discrepancy with later research above): "The Samuel Carr house stands at the entrance to Hu ...

Object Type: Photo

Image of P1921.009 - The Hammond House

P1921.009 - The Hammond House

Hammond farmhouse. Typical island farmhouse: big kitchen fireplace with oven, fireplaces in east & west front rooms. Demolished in 1940s. Note in album: "The Hammond House [1921] This house on the west shore of the central part of the island was built by Sam'ue Fowler either late in 1700s or early in 1800s. The Hammonds purchased it from Mr. Fowler and three or four generations have lived in it. The house has the large kitchen fire-place wi ...

Object Type: Photo

Image of P1921.010 - Hammond House

P1921.010 - Hammond House

Hammond farmhouse, built late 18th, early 19th century by Samuel Fowler, owned by several generations of Hammonds. Demolished about 1940, typical island farmhouse: Note in album: "The Hammond House. Three or four generations have lived in it. The house has the large kitchen fire-place with oven and a fire-place in the east and west front rooms."

Object Type: Photo

Image of P1921.011 - Tiddeman Hull house

P1921.011 - Tiddeman Hull house

Tiddeman Hull house, built about 1840 by Joseph Weeden. It was moved to Thomas Carr Watson Farm, about 1940 when Jamestown Bridge constructed. Note in album: "This house was built for Tideman [sic] Hull about eighty years ago. It is first house on Cemetery Lane after leaving the North Main Road. The carpenter was Mr. Joseph Weeden."

Object Type: Photo

Image of P1921.012 - Hazard Farmhouse

P1921.012 - Hazard Farmhouse

Hazard Farmhouse, owned by three generations of Carrs, six generations of Hazards. Oldest part built about 1760. Destroyed by fire December 16, 2007. Note in album (over this photo and the next): "The Hazard Farm. This house stands on the south side of Cemetery Lane beyond the Cemetery, In olden times the lane extended to the west shore where a ferry was located. As near as I can find out Thomas Hazard, son of Jeremiah Hazard of North Kingston ...

Object Type: Photo

Image of P1921.013 - Hazard Farmhouse

P1921.013 - Hazard Farmhouse

Hazard Farmhouse, owned by three generations of Carrs, six generations of Hazards. Oldest part built about 1760. Destroyed by fire December 16, 2007. Note in album (over this photo and P1921.012): "The Hazard Farm. This house stands on the sourth side of Cemetery Lane beyond the Cemetery, In olden times the lane extended to the west shore where a ferry was located. As near as I can find out Thomas Hazard, son of Jeremiah Hazard of North Ki ...

Object Type: Photo

Image of P1921.014 - Barn and shed on Hazard Farm

P1921.014 - Barn and shed on Hazard Farm

Barn and shed on Hazard Farm.

Object Type: Photo

Image of P1921.015 - Fox Hill Farm

P1921.015 - Fox Hill Farm

Fox Hill Farm. Note in album: "The Benjamin J. Cottrell House is the first house across the Town Beach. It is a very old house, but the date of its erection is not known. The western end is older than the eastern end. Originally a part of the Benedict Arnold farm, it was bought by Mr. Green in 1829. His wife was a Conttrell. At her death it became the property of the Cottrells and has belonged to them ever since. [1921]"

Object Type: Photo

Image of P1921.016 - Jonathan Law house

P1921.016 - Jonathan Law house

Jonathan Law house. Note in album (over P1921.016 and .017): "Old farm house on Mackerel Cove farm. During the Revolution this farm was owned by Jonathan Law and occupied by Mr. Hazard Knowles who bought it later. 'The History of Rhode Island' says that when the British occupied Newport, Mr. Knowles sent his horses over the Narragansett Ferry, and attempted to follow with his family. He was halted by a party of British at the West Ferry. L ...

Object Type: Photo

Image of P1921.017 - Jonathan Law house

P1921.017 - Jonathan Law house

Jonathan Law house. Note in album (over P1921.016 and .017): "Old farm house on Mackerel Cove farm. During the Revolution this farm was owned by Jonathan Law and occupied by Mr. Hazard Knowles who bought it later. 'The History of Rhode Island' says that when the British occupied Newport, Mr. Knowles sent his horses over the Narragansett Ferry, and attempted to follow with his family. He was halted by a party of British at the West Ferry. L ...

Object Type: Photo

Image of P1921.018 - Beavertail Rd

P1921.018 - Beavertail Rd

Prospect Hill farmhouse, called Audley Clarke homestead, built late 18th century, torn down 1920s, rented mid 19th c by HW Clarke who was no relation to Audley Clarke, stood on east side of Beavertail Rd across from #282 see notes on file card, in L Clarke album

Object Type: Photo

Image of P1921.019 - Narragansett Ave & North Main Rd

P1921.019 - Narragansett Ave & North Main Rd

Laundry building, blt 1845-1850, on corner of Narragansett Ave Coronado St by Chas Eldred for a wheelwright shop. Later became 2 family house. Purchased by G W Carr, who died there in 1882. Sold by his heirs & moved in 1890 to present location North Main Rd , in L Clarke album

Object Type: Photo

No Image Available

P1921.020 - Unidentified

Man on a beach with kettle similar to spermacetti kettle at NHS, did they get theirs from us?

Object Type: Photo